Monday, January 16, 2012

Regina's Starry Starry NIght


The inspiration for this piece was Van Gogh's Starry, Starry Night. I love that painting! I have posters of it - shirts with it on it and even a mouse pad with the painting on it! I was sitting at my computer looking at my mouse pad (it's pretty cool to get inspiration from a mouse pad - lol) and thinking about Van Gogh's sky and how wonderfully busy it is. I decided to make my own Starry Night.

I hand pieced a background of blue patchwork blocks of similar values. I added three appliqued circles and then the fun begin! I wanted to fill up my night sky with brightly colored hand embroidery. The result is what you see here. As I was working on the piece, I was thinking about the line from a science fiction movie, "Somewhere in a galaxy far far away." This night sky was definitely not Earth's but I could imagine it as a night sky in some far away exotic world.

This piece measures 14 x 14. It is worked on cotton patchwork which is then added to a piece of black felt. There is a hanging sleeve on the back and comes with a dowel rod for hanging. The black hanger is not included with the piece. It is just to show one way of hanging it. You can get this hanger from Dharma Trading Company. 

6 comments:

  1. Is is fantastic, I love it! I beautiful selection of stitches and colours, well done :)
    You are right, we can get our inspiration from anywhere, with just a little imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Radka for your kind words! I had alot of fun making this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful thanks fo showingx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really beautiful, Regina! How long did it take you to make it?

    ReplyDelete